Monday, October 12, 2009

Why I Love the Buffalo Bills


The Buffalo Bills and the New York Mets have a few similarities: they both have the color blue in the team uniform, they both play in the state of New York (contrary to popular belief Buffalo is not in Canada), and both teams routinely make me miserable. 

Miserable might be a bit of an understatement. They drive me insane. I've talked about my relationship with the Mets, but now that it's sweater season it's time for me to complain about how much the Bills effect my life. When I was 4-years -old, the Buffalo Bills started their reign of 4 consecutive AFC championships. Oh yea, and they lost 4 straight Super Bowls. I went as Jim Kelly for Halloween. I balled my eyes out after the Music City Miracle, and I have watched as Wade Phillips, Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, and Dick Jauron run the once great franchise into one of the most consistently bad teams in the NFL. 

It is extremely trying times to be a Buffalo Bills fan, they haven't been to the playoffs in 10 years. As these futilely bad teams of 00's have come and go, the Bills have inducted five former Bills into the NFL Hall of Fame, former coach Marv Levy in '01, Jim Kelly in '02, Thurman Thomas in '07, and Bruce Smith and owner Ralph Wilson in '09. I can't begin to think how they feel about today's teams, but it might approach how pissed off and upset I get each year. 

At the beginning of every season I have hope, last year we started 4-0 and proceeded to win 3 of our next 12 games. This year we had that freakin' Patriots last minute comeback, after which I had a minor mental breakdown/episode which ended with me drunk dialing my mom, heartbroken, boarding on tears about the Buffalo Bills. I basically acted like my dog died, my gf broke up with me, I was fired from my job, I dropped my beer, and someone stole my pacifier all at the same time. 

This week I went to three different bars before I found one playing the Bills Browns game, in retrospect I wasted 3 hours and 10 dollars on beer. This bar was pretty big and had about 20+ tv's in its entirety, the Bills vs. Browns game was on a 19 inch TV right next to the bathroom, in the furthest corner of the bar. I was the only Bills fan there, but that's nothing new. I leaned on the Street Fighter II arcade game and watched as the Bills lost 6-3 against the Browns at home, it was the Browns first win in 10 games. Browns starting QB Derek Anderson was 2-17 passing for 23 yards with a passer rating of 15, and his team won the game. 

 Some may say I take sports a little too seriously, I'd like to say I'm just passionate. One day it's going to feel rewarding, one day the Bills will win, and one day the Mets will too. If those heathens from Boston can be rewarded with championships galore, why not the God loving citizens of Buffalo? I just don't want to be 85 when it happens. 

1 comment:

  1. haha that first line was a great way to open up the article

    ReplyDelete